About this course...
Navathome Online Theory Courses.
The RYA Day Skipper Online Theory course gives you a comprehensive foundation in the knowledge required to cruising a yacht in familiar waters by day. We strongly recommend this theory course to students taking our practical Day Skipper course, during which students will be expected to demonstrate a working knowledge of the material covered in this theory course.
As an agent for Navathome, Hamilton Sailing is able to connect students to their superb online training program. This training is delivered by Navathome, an RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training. Instructors at Navathome are available 7 days a week to support students throughout the course, and help them progress through the course to achieve the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased certification.
Contact us for any questions on the Day Skipper Online Theory course!
No previous experience or knowledge required. However, practical experience to the Competent Crew level is recommended. Open to ages 16 and up.
The online theory course takes approximately 45 hours, students progress at their own pace.
Successful completion of this course will earn you the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased certificate.
What is Included?
• Access to the online course with Navathome for a period of 6 months. Access can be extended for a longer period with an administration fee to Navathome.
• A course pack including a chart, Breton plotter, dividers, course handbook, exercises and an electronic chart plotter simulator download. Course packs are mailed out after registration and are usually delivered within 2 working days within the UK.
• The course is fully compatible with any PC or OS operating system and any major browser.
• Email support from one of Navathome’s instructors.
• RYA certification issued by Navathome upon successful completion of the course.
The RYA Day Skipper Theory Online is a highly informative course with many interactive exercises to help reinforce the information and lots of chances to try out what you've learned. Instructors at Navathome are on standby to help answer any questions by email if you get stuck!
Just some of the topics included in the course:
• Using charts, depth contours, three point fix, plotting a course to steer allowing for tidal set and drift. Position fixing using by various means and estimated position taking into account tidal set and drift.
• Using a tidal diamond table and the tidal stream atlas to work out the tidal set and drift for various times of day and compensating for spring and neap tides.
• An introduction to planning short daytime passages using waypoints and visual aids.
• Working out the height of tide for entering ports, crossing shallows and avoiding grounding, allowing for springs and neap tides, basic secondary port calculations, allowing for time differences, etc.
• Basic collision regulations including collision avoidance, the correct lights to use and how to identify various types of vessel from their lights.
• Using various onboard electronic equipment such as chart plotters, depth, wind instruments and more.
• Causes of weather systems, reading and taking into account present and future weather forecasts, understanding weather charts and sources of weather information.
• How to recognise buoys by their lights characteristics, shape, colour, name and what action to take when approaching one.
• Basic safety at sea including using life rafts, use of life jackets, how to handle and use flares, types of fire fighting equipment and fire prevention, how to make mayday calls, various ways of making other vessel aware that there is a mayday situation.
Terms and conditions https://www.navathome.com/terms.aspx
Take the RYA Day Skipper practical training course to put your theory into practice!
Give us a call for obligation free advice 07990777129
Available dates for this course...
How to book...
- If you're ready to book now, just select one of the dates above to go to the booking form.
- If you just want more information, click here to contact us,
or phone us for a no obligation chat on 07990 777 129.
- Request a call-back, and we'll contact you to arrange the booking.